Written by ROB SMYTH
‘A NEW era of driver safety’ is on the horizon after a completion date was announced for major improvements along an accident-plagued section of the A38.
Burton MP Andrew Griffiths revealed to the Mail that the Highways Agency had informed him that a host of measures set to improve conditions along the road between Branston and Barton under Needwood would be completed by April 16.
He told the Mail this would allow drivers to ‘breathe a sigh of relief’ and drastically improve safety along the much-criticised road.
He said: “It is great to see that these vital improvements along part of the A38 will soon be completed, allowing drivers to breathe a sigh of relief as they travel along the road.
“The nature of the need for the improvements has seen the work come straight away after the decision to undertake the work was rubber-stamped earlier this month – another sign of how needed these improvements were.”
Central reservation gaps will be closed and a 60mph speed limit put in place following a hard-fought campaign, fronted by Mr Griffiths, following the tragic deaths of two sisters in 2012.
Mr Griffiths added: “This move will make the A38 safer for everybody who uses it and that can only be a good thing.
“The next phase is to watch these measures take hold and see the impact that they have.
“If they do improve things then it could see eventually see the measures, or similar ones, put in place along other stretches of the road.
“The onus now falls on the likes of Staffordshire Police to make sure these measures are being followed by drivers and, if they’re not, to respond and act.
“Also, drivers need to step up to the plate and make sure they follow the new measures being put into place and help make the A38 a safer road for everyone who uses it.”